PUB 600: Topics in Publishing Management
Marketing & Management
An analysis of management issues essential to the daily operation of publishing firms. Emphasis will be placed on the distinctive nature of publishing as a cultural/information industry, the applicability of theory and practice in marketing and accounting, and the legal underpinnings of publishing.
- Develop purpose and mission statements and strategies for a publishing enterprise
- Interpret a balance sheet, income and cash flow statements, produce title P&Ls (Profit & Loss Statement)
- Plan, manage and control a successful project
- Understand a variety of publishing environments, typical organizational structures and how to recruit, organize, motivate and train staff to achieve the organization’s objectives.
- Analyze and understand the requirements of a publishing proposition and the competitive landscape.