Writers’ Exchange Literacy Mentors Wanted
Would you like to volunteer as a literacy mentor with kids from inner-city schools? We are seeking committed, fun, and passionate folks who love reading, writing, and hanging out with awesome kids. You will participate in creative literacy-focused activities, help kids with their homework, explore fun books, and make sure that the kids leave each session knowing how awesome they are. In your role as a Volunteer Mentor you will have the support of the Programs Director, Writers’ Room Coordinator, and Session Programmers. Our goal is to build a large team of dedicated volunteer literacy mentors to help us fulfill our mission: get inner-city kids excited about reading and writing!
- ▪ Previous experience working with kids in grades 1 – 7 is great, but a strong desire to help creative, funny kids get excited about reading and writing is more important
- ▪ A love of reading, and writing, and the desire to share it
- ▪ The ability to commit to attend at least one program per week for a minimum of 6 months
- ▪ Curiosity, excitement about learning, and enthusiasm for trying out cool crafts andactivities
- ▪ Willingness to complete a BC Criminal Records CheckTime Commitment: 2 hours once per week. Programs run during the day in schools, and after school between 3pm – 5pm.
- ▪ Be a positive influence
- ▪ Attend all weekly scheduled shift
- ▪ Participate enthusiastically
- ▪ Model an infectious love for reading and writing
- ▪ Become familiar with the Writers’ Exchange and our mission and culture
- You will get to spend part of your week hanging out with some amazing kids! In addition to the connections that you will build with participants in the Writers’ Exchange programming, this is also an opportunity to contribute to your community, and build experience working with kids. We are happy to act as a reference for amazing, committed volunteers. Additionally, you will be volunteering with many folks who are experienced mentors and educators: you will be learning from the best. The Writers’ Exchange is growing, and as you help us reach out to even more kids, there will also be opportunities for you to get further involved with our work.
- Interested in finding out more? Please visit http://www.vancouverwe.com/volunteer and fill out an application form. Questions? Email our Volunteer