IDRC Seeks Publisher/Sr Research Communication Advisor
Publisher and Senior Research Communications Advisor – Ottawa, Canada
Reporting to the Manager of Writing, Translation, and Publishing, you will initiate and nurture strategic partnerships with a variety of commercial and academic publishers, like-minded organizations, and service providers around the world to promote IDRC and enhance the dissemination of IDRC research results and impact. This includes developing and managing a collection of publications and co-publications and initiating, negotiating, and implementing editorial and publishing contractors to ensure quality as well as adherence to schedules and budgets.
One of your key roles will be to strengthen IDRC staff and grantee capacity to synthesize and communicate research results by providing strategic advice, expertise, and services with respect to book and other forms of publishing to effectively communicate research results and impact. In addition, you will initiate and plan an annual publishing event to build the capacity of developing country publishers, in collaboration with international partners. You will also develop, implement and monitor adherence to the IDRC’s publishing policy, book marketing and distribution strategy which includes Web 2.0 platforms.
The International Development Research Centre (IDRC), a Canadian Crown corporation, supports research in developing regions of the world to promote growth and development. The result is innovative, lasting local solutions that bring choice and change to those who need it most.
- University degree, preferably in communications, publishing, or a related field
- Position normally requires eight years of progressive publishing experience in an international setting, which includes:
- developing and implementing publishing strategies
- providing strategic communication advice
- building and fostering relationships with clients, partners, and stakeholders
- negotiating contracts
- Experience managing freelance suppliers
- Experience working for a non-for-profit or international development organization is an asset
- Bilingual position (English and French) at intermediate level
- Working knowledge of Spanish is an asset
- Good understanding of, and interest in, IDRC’s mandate
- In depth knowledge of research, editorial, and publication production standards and procedures
- Strong knowledge of contract negotiation, rights management, book production, marketing, sales, and international distribution (print and electronic)
- Knowledge of Web and other e-publishing technologies and procedures
- Superior time and project management skills to manage a wide variety and large number of concurrent publishing projects
- Ability to provide strategic advice and contribute to the development of communications policies, products and services
- Ability to analyze, plan, and implement publishing strategies
- Flexible and adaptable, able to respond quickly to unanticipated demands
- Strong negotiation and problem-solving skills
- Ability to communicate effectively and diplomatically with partners and grantees
- Creative thinking and adaptive planning, in keeping with specific program priorities, corporate objectives, and the needs of an external audience
If you are interested in a career with a lasting impact, we invite you to join our team of motivated and talented professionals operating in a stimulating and diverse environment. For more information about this opportunity and how to apply, visit www.idrc.ca/careers.
Application Deadline: September 16, 2012